Saturday, May 17, 2014

Blank Slate

I am not a perfect person by any stretch of the imagination. I have made so many mistakes in my life, some tiny and some huge, and I still struggle to be the person I should be every single day.
Every morning I wake up and have to fight hard to be who I want to be instead of who I am, who I am instead of who I was.
Sometimes I look at my son and I am overwhelmed by how new and fresh every part of his life is. He has a completely blank slate. He has yet to face the life experiences that will test him and bend him until he’s about to break. He has yet to be presented with opportunities to backslide, to consciously make the decision to fail and later regret it. He doesn’t know sarcasm or rudeness, doesn’t know dishonesty or greed or judgement.
I am not na├»ve enough to think he will somehow pass over all of our bad qualities and wind up with only our good ones… but it’s a pretty amazing thing to me, being able to look at this kiddo and know that we can guide and encourage him into being an inherently good person.

100_0305
Admiring a sunset over Bear Lake in Idaho

He has a completely blank slate and I intend to hand him far more vibrant and beautiful colors than dark or dull colors.

2 comments: