Thursday, August 7, 2014

Lately...

 
Loom knitting a fourth Christmas stocking! // Reminiscing over sweet newborn days // picnic snacks with my favorite little man are our new daily thing


NURSING: Lately we've been nursing very little. Milk thins out and changes during pregnancy and I can definitely tell that is the case for us. Baby Bell I does still nurse in the evenings and in the wee hours of the morning but doesn't even always nurse during the day these days. When he does nurse, it's rarely for more than five minutes at a time and he usually stops halfway through and shakes his head, no, as if to say "This milk is no good." Then he'll switch sides, nurse for another couple of minutes, and be up to play or ready to go brush his teeth and hit the hay.
Things I have learned about breastfeeding while pregnant thus far: lots more nutrition for mama (sometimes I seem to be hungry for a snack within an hour of my last snack/meal) and cramps... not bad cramps, not even close, but definitely a teensy bit of cramping thanks to all that oxytocin. 

NAPS: Ah, naps. The past few days have been like a miracle. Little Bear likes to be read a story or two while I rock him in the recliner and then we lie down together and he chats/wiggles himself to sleep. Sometimes it takes ten minutes, sometimes more like an hour! I've been using this time to really rest because I definitely need it now! I don't even do my usual naptime chores right now, just find ways to cram them in while he's awake or quickly get them done after he falls asleep for the night. Naps are currently 2-3 hours and shortly after lunch so I am usually able to sleep for about an hour and then relax with a cup of tea and a book. (Lately I've been reading What's it Like to be Married to Me, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and The Hypnotist's Love Story) [especially loving the last one, a beach read I'm not quite done with] I'm taking advantage of this while I can!

NOSTALGIA: Oh, the nostalgia. I tend to be a very reflective person and it seems like I am always waxing nostalgic over something. Even pre-baby I would tear up thinking about happy things, but now it feels like it happens multiple times a day. Right now, it's those precious newborn days. I pulled our newborn clothes out and oh, my heart! They're so tiny! I can't even believe this sweet little boy was once so tiny! Or that we'll be bringing home another tiny little thing in just six months. It's all just so bittersweet, isn't it? They grow into these amazing little people and you get to witness their joy and their frustrations, but then you have to miss that sweet snugly phase and the babbles and coos... my favorite children's book sums it up so perfectly, If I Could Keep You Little... I almost always cry when we read this one.

*I used Amazon Affiliates links for these links. I’ll be using Affiliates links often here because eventually the some-odd cents I make from a “sale” adds up to be enough for a gallon of gas. Every penny counts, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment