Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Naptime Crafting

Someone recently asked me if I was a crafter. I thought about this for about four seconds. I thought about how I’d like to be a crafter, how I’d maybe even love to be a crafter, but how everything I’ve ever tried to make has turned out looking nothing like I pictured it… and also like a third grader made it. I smiled and shook my head and said that no, I’d like to be but I’m not.
Then I got home and really started to notice all the things in our home I’ve made over the years. The photo books I spend hours on at the beginning of every January. The scrapbook-style wedding guest book I was so proud of and still read through often. The magnet-board wall calendar we hang in our kitchen, the “please remove your shoes” sign we keep on our door, the many loom-knit items and the Christmas tree skirt with a location patch on it for every Christmas since we got married.
Craft1
You guys. I’m a crafter! Not a very talented one, but a crafter nonetheless. I am almost always working on some project or another. I think pretty much everything I do is super simple and fun so I thought I’d share them here.
The truth is that a lot of these projects are worked on at bedtime too, but that’s also my time with Ryan so the blunt of it is done during naptime. These are the last three things I’ve worked on:
Craft2
  1. A fourth Christmas stocking for Baby Bell II. I tend to mess these up a lot so I knew I wanted to get started right away in case I wasn’t able to complete it quickly. Instead, I actually managed to make one I like on the first try! It does look a little feminine to me though, so if Baby Bell II is a boy I’ll probably keep this one for myself, give him Ryan’s (the predominantly red diagonal striped one), and let Ryan have mine (the predominantly white diagonal stripe one).
  2. A winter hat for the little guy. He didn’t have one in his size for this coming winter. Although it fits fine right now, it might actually be too small by the time winter rolls around! I am missing a round loom because it got broken in our last move… so I tried to just wing it with the small loom and I think I’ll just have to use the next size up and knit it very tightly!
  3. A travel photo board. It’s definitely still a work in progress. I have some ideas for a sign I’d like above it or in the middle, for example, and I’ll obviously have to print smaller (wallet-sized?) photos in the future since it’s already pretty full. I thought they’d print much smaller. These are 4x4s which I printed through Walgreens. I couldn’t actually find the square print option just by going through the normal print section, so I had to search for “square prints” on their site and do it through a separate function. It’s set up for printing from your phone and I was printing from a computer which made the screen very tiny and weird. It was a real pain in the neck, but the prints were $.39 each and then I found a 50% off coupon using retailmenot.com
The diagonal striped stockings are from a pattern in I Can’t Believe I’m Loom Knitting! and the other two were adapted from that pattern. Hats are the quickest, simplest little thing to make and I learned how to do them from the same book.
There was a tiny piece of plastic lodged in my sewing machine so I’ve made nothing but knots for the almost year I’ve had it. I was getting so frustrated and feeling like I must be the dumbest seamstress on the planet… but now that I’ve gotten that out, suddenly the machine works and I can make straight and knot-free stitches with ease! So expect to see mostly sewing projects for a while. I found two great books at a used bookstore recently so I plan to make quite a few projects from The Sew Everything Workshop and I Can’t Believe I’m Sewing! . (That first one is amazing, is the reason I found the plastic, and is filled with so many cute projects and patterns!)
In other news, dear family and close friends, please consider mailing me your old sweatshirts and soft (jersey knit) t-shirts for a few projects. =]
*I used Amazon Affiliates links for some of these links. I’ll be using Affiliates links often here because eventually the some-odd cents I make from a “sale” adds up to be enough for a gallon of gas. Every penny counts, right?








2 comments:

  1. I always start out really patient with new crafts and then when it's not going fast enough, I rush through the end. Boo. Patience is not my strong suit.

    You've created some lovely things, though! I wish I could do stockings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I used to have the same problem with patience but I haven't here lately. I wish I could give some secret reason for that but it just kinda happened!

    ReplyDelete