Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A Christmas Cause

Good morning!

I have been so excited for this post to go up.

Ryan and I talk all the time about the ways we can help others. We talk about the sense of community that has been lost in our society, what a difference it would make if everyone were willing to give up the $4 they were going to spend at Starbucks for a worthy cause, how we all claim to have no time for anything yet can all tell you the detailed storyline of at least one TV show.

Even though we are just as guilty of not always sharing our time and our money they way we could and should, we do try to make a difference when we can and when we are in the right frame of mind.

I am especially drawn to the idea of helping parents and their children. We normally do an Operation Christmas Child box around the holidays. We might do one this year too, but we have something even bigger in mind this year.

This Christmas, I’d like to do what I can to help a single parent and their child(ren) have a magical Christmas. That’s where all of you come in.

I’d like you to nominate a single parent you know (including yourself!) who could truly use a little help this Christmas. I just want to know a little bit of their backstory (Does she stay up until 3am earning her degree online after work? Does he work two jobs? Is she expecting a baby?) and the NEED you think is most important at the moment (gas money to make it to Grandma’s house for Christmas dinner? A computer for working on online classes? Four new tires? The security deposit on a new apartment?). I’ll also need a good way to get in touch with you if your nominee “wins.” (I’ll be using random.org to select a winner at random)

IMG_1961
I’d also love it if you would consider donating to the cause. Even one dollar can make a huge difference. We’re going to do the best we can on our own, but really making this happen the way I imagine it is going to take support from others. On our own, we can’t afford to pay for some of these big-ticket items. With $3 from you, $7 from that guy, $22 from her, $14 from him… we can pull this off. If we all do just a little bit, just whatever we can, it will most certainly add up enough to make a difference. I’ve set up a donation page specific to this cause that will allow everyone to see just how much has been collected, and I’ll of course share the exact expenses at the end for accountability.

If we were to somehow wind up getting more than enough, I’d love to do even more… help another nominated person, fill up several Operation Christmas Child boxes, sponsor a Compassion International child for a year, the possibilities are endless.

I would of course be more than happy to accept a simple donation, but I’m also interested in helping out those who donate with a little free advertising for your blog/business (no spam, no inappropriate content) in exchange for whatever donation you’re willing to make. Prayers will also be very much appreciated!!
Please consider nominating and/or donating! Advertising slots will feature rotating sidebar buttons and a handful of organic mentions from October through December.

Please e-mail both to SKBell36 @ gmail . com with the subject line “Christmas Nomination” or “Advertising Slot.”

Thank you in advance for your support! I’m really excited about this and I know it can do great if everyone tells even one extra person about it.

2 comments:

  1. I've participated in things like this through other blogs before and it's always been such a success! I would definitely like to donate to this cause soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jessica! We are really excited about it and think it can truly make a difference if enough people are willing to get on board!

      Delete