Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Freezer Cooking: The Grand Finale

I still had a few things in mind I wanted to add to our freezer cooking stash when I finished up, but we are quite simply out of space. My goal had been to completely fill the freezer, and to get us to a place where the first 1-2 months were taken care of meal-wise. Between restaurant gift cards from sweet family members, frozen pizzas, and a few other simple meals, I did it!

IMG_20150108_182357

In the end, the following foods fill up my freezer:
baked ziti x2
breakfast scramble packs (minus the eggs) x5
burgers
cheddar broccoli soup x3
chili x2
meatloaf
pancakes x2
sausage & peppers x2
sloppy joes
taco meat+rice mixture
tater tot casserole x2
vegetable beef stew x2
zuppa x4
potato soup
albondigas

Also banana bread, blueberry muffins, cornbread muffins, roasted red pepper & cream cheese spread for sandwiches, balls of sausage-cream cheese-veggie stuffing for stuffed mushrooms, pureed carrots for one of our favorite side dishes, misc. desserts from various occasions.

My number one tip with these particular meals: keep fresh greens on hand. Easy for me (but probably Ryan, since babies seem to binge-nurse at prime dinner-making times) to throw together a side salad to go with any meal, to add to our burgers/tacos, or to throw into some heated dishes that taste good with wilted greens inside.

If I had had a little more time + space, I would still have liked to have made lasagna, more muffins, shepherd’s pie, and mini calzones. I would have made half of the calzones lunch/dinner-friendly and the other half like a breakfast Hot Pocket.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a nicely packed freezer! I'd like to start doing this just to basically cut back some more on our grocery bill every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check out moneysavingmom.com! She has so many freezer cooking tips!

      Delete