Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Hungry

This morning I woke up so hungry I felt like I might throw up. You’ve probably experienced the same thing. All that stomach acid and no bagel to neutralize it with, not a pleasant feeling.

The baby was awake and kicking her little legs between us. The toddler was also up, even though it was only 6am, and I could hear him out in the living room. I closed my eyes and tried to pretend I would be getting more sleep but when he came in and handed Ryan a DVD, we realized he’d somehow gotten the entertainment center open again despite the baby proofing lock on it.

I went out there and sure enough, he had turned on the XBox and gotten out the controller, and was desperately trying to figure out how to get the Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town DVD in it and playing.
 
Eh, what the heck.

I started his movie, went back for the baby, and let Ryan sleep in for a few precious minutes before work. I was still really hungry and now I had extra time so I made us all breakfast. Scrambled eggs, toast, smoothies chock-full of fruits and veggies. Delicious. Just what I needed. I felt so much better.
And I also felt awful.

I couldn’t help but think about the fact that right now, somewhere in the world, a mother is sobbing. A mother is going to bury her child because he didn’t have enough food to eat and his body simply shut down. And then there’s me, struggling to lose the baby weight as quickly as I’d like and not being that surprised since right now I have dairy free ice cream and fish sticks and pizza crusts in my freezer, leftover restaurant pasta in my fridge.

Let’s do something today to stop hunger. Let’s make donations to The Hunger Project or Heifer International, even if they’re only for $3. Let’s grab a can or two out of our pantries tonight and drop them off at the food bank on our way to work tomorrow. Let’s put together a few non-perishable kits to keep in our cars and hand to the homeless when you see them in person. Think simple… tuna & cracker kits, lunchbox fruit cups, granola bars. Maybe if you’ve got a little extra to spare you could throw in a $5 Subway gift card.

I’m reading the book Give a Little and I so highly, highly recommend it. It’s an entire book talking about how the smallest of donations are actually the ones that count. For some reason the media talks about the large donations made by big corporations and celebrities, but they fail to talk about the awesome American citizens like you and me who feel bad about the “mere” $8 they were able to scrounge together. All those little donations add up so quickly that American citizens making less than $100k annually and donating less than $50 at a time fund a majority of the billions of dollars donated to relief causes. AMAZING!

The Roosevelt’s March of Dimes is just one of the many examples listed in the book so far. I was really fascinated by it and went on to research it a little further. They collected the funds to research (and eventually eradicate) Polio with actual dimes. They got so many envelopes of dimes in the mail they had to hire people specifically to weed out the official mail so it didn’t get lost in the sea of dimes.

People literally defeated Polio ten cents at a time, y’all.

Let’s murder hunger. Let’s slaughter that beast a few bucks at a time and let’s start today.

*I’d be remiss if I didn’t also remind you that sweet Ayingeneye and her family have very little food and that her meal at the Compassion center may be the only meal Ayingeneye eats each day. Please also consider donating a few dollars to Ayingeneye’s Compassion fund here!

No comments:

Post a Comment