Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Life, Three Months Postpartum

Life, three months postpartum:
I feel basically fine.

I am experiencing some light blues/irritability every week and a half or so, and nowhere near as bad as I had been. A few weeks ago I would spend the day kind of weepy with periods of such extreme sadness I'd end up sobbing on the couch and feeling a million emotions at once. I was sad and distraught, and overwhelmed, but also guilty for my feelings and confused about why they were happening since I didn't experience anything like it the first time around.

I think my issues are due to hormones. I did some research and talked to my midwife and we agreed on a few natural remedies to attempt before I resorted to my prescription. I haven't taken my prescription at all at this point so I don't plan to.

The things I found to be pretty helpful were: folic acid supplements, D3 supplements, B12 supplements and later B12 shot, a little more meat and dairy in my diet + lots of leafy greens (but not broccoli since it gave Baby issues), more omega-3 fatty acids in my diet, as much skin-to-skin as I want, lots of walking/exercise, essential oils on the bottoms of my feet and in a diffuser, lots of fresh air, and extra breastfeeding. I think the last one was the most helpful of all and was a big part of what was messing with my hormones in the first place.

I had been frustrated by how slowly I was losing weight but that picked back up once I started nursing more. I still have a few pounds to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and then lots of maintenence to do to get back in shape.
I remember feeling weird about my body the first time around because it just wasn't MY body anymore, you know? It wasn't my pre-pregnancy body and it wasn't my full-bellied pregnancy body. Then I got used to that body and then to a pregnant body again so I'm very curious to see how it all turns out this time.

I think the most important thing to me was support. Ryan was/is extremely supportive, and it was also really helpful to have friends and family who recently had babies and completely understood. Every time I checked e-mail someone was asking how I was doing or feeling, was sending me a recipe for a pick-me-up smoothie or an article talking about helpful tips, someone was sending an encouraging text message or card or in the case of one very wonderful friend, a postpartum depression care package. I'm not sure I would have come this far this quickly without love and support from so many wonderful people in my life.
A very close second was just spending lots of extra time with my baby. Nursing, snuggling, wearing her on my chest for skin-to-skin time, all of it was extremely helpful in bringing on those feel-good feelings.

For now I'm just focusing on taking care of myself and my babies and feeling a little better all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment